The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology later this year will solicit competitive bids for contracts to move the Nationwide Health Information Network to production readiness and status.
"This competitive contract process in late 2009 will result in the selection of a set of task order contractors which will provide the range of skills, knowledge and experience to advance the work toward a full production NHIN," according to a recently issued notice from the Program Support Center, on behalf of ONC.
The notice explained ONC's intent to award a sole source "bridge" contract to aid ONC as it prepares to accept NHIN bids. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act requires ONC to develop a nationwide health information technology infrastructure.
"The current award is being made as a sole source contract to ensure that the work and pace of effort of the ONC toward the NHIN is not degraded in any way while the agency prepares documentation to enable a full and open competition for the full range of work required as part of the open competition," according to the notice. "A sole source contractor is being selected for this bridge contract with the requisite skill, knowledge, and direct relevant experience so as to fulfill this short term goal without any degradation in current work efforts and plans.
"In the competitive acquisition to be conducted later this year, the contractors selected will need to provide the specialized expertise necessary to develop systems, procedures, and technical artifacts. Specific activities may include assisting ONC in:
* "developing a strategy and governance structure to fulfill the vision for the NHIN, including the steps necessary to move the NHIN to production status;
* "evaluating, planning, implementing and deploying health information technology, with special emphasis on information networks and interoperability;
* "developing a portfolio to manage the assets, resources, and other materials related to the NHIN;
* "guiding and overseeing stakeholder and workgroup activities; and
* "leading a communications campaign which includes effective news messaging and communications, establishing/maintaining a product web site and method of outreach to those interested in learning more about the NHIN or coming into production."
To access the full notice, click here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Health Data Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access