Ancillary hospital software vendor Omnicell Inc. has introduced a new platform, called G4, to place 11 medication and supply management products on a single database.
That includes six different types of medication dispensing cabinets. Providers already using the cabinets can swap out the existing computing unit for a G4 version and continue using the cabinets on the single database. Other enhancements include:
* Automated printing of patient-specific syringe labels for common medications that typically comprise about 75 percent of a cabinet's supplies,
* Analytics and reporting software to identify drug diversion incidents,
* Automated restock messages transmitted from a cabinet to supplier Cardinal Health Inc.,
* Fingerprint biometrics technology to enhance cabinet security, and
* A small mobile cart to bring medications to the bedside with electronic links to the cabinet. This tracks the last 20 feet of medication administration so nurses aren't sticking medications for patients in pockets than walking into the rooms, says Marga Ortigas, vice president at Omnicell. "You can actually do cabinet functions from the cart."
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Health Data Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access