Long time healthcare investors Todd Cozzens and Jared Kesselheim, MD, have launched Leerink Transformation Fund with a focus exclusively on healthcare information technology and related services, anticipating investing as much as $340 million in emerging companies.
“We are distinctly positioned to help the best healthcare IT and services companies, and their leaders, accelerate their growth because of our differential backgrounds as founders, operators, clinicians and investors,” says Cozzens.
To start, the new fund made investment in six IT and services companies:
• Outcome Health, which offers technology that provides health intelligence at the point of care.
• Scientist.com, which aims to shorten pharmaceutical research and development cycles.
• Vera Whole Health, which offers employer-based onsite primary care.
• PatientPing, a service that enables real-time admission and discharge notifications.
• Health Catalyst, a company that specializes in healthcare analytics.
• Kyruus, which has technology that matches patients with the right provider.
The investors built the fund entirely with a focus on healthcare IT and services to take advantage of the rapid adoption of heath IT under the HITECH Act, coupled with an ongoing reimbursement shift away from fee-for-service and toward value-based care, Kesselheim says.
“These drivers have created an unprecedented opportunity for disruption in a massive market whose complexity is best addressed by a fund with a 100 percent sector focus,” he adds.
The fund launched with assistance from LEERINK, a healthcare investment bank offering equity research, merger and acquisition advisory services and investment banking.
Also created was MEDACorp., a network for physicians, regulatory and reimbursement specialists, hospital and insurer business managers and researchers, with the intent of aiding healthcare professionals in assessing merger and acquisition deals. More information is available here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Health Data Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access