The American Health Information Management Association recently introduced an HIM Career Map, an interactive representation of job titles and roles across entry, middle, advanced and Masters levels.
The map includes 53 current HIM jobs, as well as 13 emerging new roles in three of the levels:
* Middle – HIM & technology trainer, EHR implementation specialist, practice workflow and implementation specialist;
* Advanced – research and development scientist, health I.T. sub-specialist, REC/HIE exchange director, enterprise master patient index manager, meaningful use specialist, practitioner consultant; and
* Masters – vice president of privacy and security, vice president of coding, chief learning officer, chief knowledge officer.
Clicking on each current title or emerging role brings up a description of the job and the skills, responsibilities, education and work experience needed to succeed, as well as alternate titles for some positions.
Using data from HIM experts, AHIMA staff and a member survey, AHIMA Foundation developed the map with the Center for Adult and Experiential Learning, with financial support from Career Step, an online HIM vocational school. It is available here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Health Data Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access