Based on its ability to use record systems to improve patient treatment and outcomes in care, Horizon Family Medical Group has been selected as a winner of a Ambulatory Davies Award of Excellence for 2016
The provider organization represents a large network of ambulatory care providers in Orange County, New York. HFMG has more than 100 physicians working out of 40 locations in the Hudson River Valley; its physicians offer care in 17 specialties.
The honor, from the Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society, recognizes HFMG for results from its use of electronic health records in improving care.
In its application, HFMG offered three case studies showing how it has used healthcare IT to improve patient and business outcomes.
- HMFG reduced 30-day readmissions by 30 percent in a year. Its 30-day readmission rate of 10.5 percent is 50 percent below the national average. The medical group leveraged transition of care managers with a transition of care management tool built into the EHR with the patient’s risk status assessed at the bedside. The care management tool provided standardized approaches for patient follow-up, appointment scheduling and care plan adherence monitoring.
- High alcohol consumption has been reduced 18 percent for at-risk patients. HMFG leveraged clinical decision support and analytics-driven huddle reports to ensure high compliance with standardized care for drug and alcohol screening and weight management. (Huddle reports are frequent briefings among staff treating the patient to stay informed and provide care.)
- Provider time with patients increased by 27 percent for scheduled 15-minute appointments allowing more direct patient counseling. Analytics-driven huddle reporting and EHR-enabled workflows improved provider efficiency, resulting in more time for patients with their providers.
“Building a culture where good business results follow good medicine, we remain committed and enthused about technology, quality care, and lowering costs,” said Horizon Family Medical Group CEO James Olver. “We are delighted to share our story about the impact each group can have in a sustainable model.”
The HIMSS Nicholas E. Davies Award of Excellence has recognized outstanding achievement of organizations using health IT to substantially improve patient outcomes while achieving a return on investment.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Health Data Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access