Registration for the Medicare incentive program for the meaningful use of electronic health records--and some Medicaid incentive programs--will open on January 3, 2011, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has announced.
Eleven Medicaid programs will be ready on Jan. 3: Alaska, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. Registration will open in February in California, Missouri and North Dakota. Other states on a rolling basis will launch their Medicaid meaningful use incentive programs during the spring and summer.
CMS also has announced important dates for the Medicare and Medicaid incentive programs' first year:
* Jan. 3, 2011 - Registration for the Medicare EHR incentive program begins.
* Jan. 3, 2011 -States that are ready may launch their incentive programs for Medicaid providers.
* January 2011 - Some state agencies begin issuing Medicaid EHR incentive payments.
* April 2011 - Attestation for the Medicare EHR incentive program begins.
* May 2011 - Issuing of Medicare EHR incentive payments expected to begin.
* July 3, 2011 - Last day for eligible hospitals to begin their 90-day reporting period to demonstrate meaningful use for the Medicare EHR incentive program for federal FY 2011.
* Sept. 30, 2011 - Federal FY 2011 payment year ends at midnight for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs).
* Oct. 3, 2011 - Last day for eligible professionals to begin their 90-day reporting period for calendar year 2011 to demonstrate meaningful use for the Medicare EHR incentive program.
* Nov. 30, 2011 - Last day for eligible hospitals and CAHs to register and attest to receive an incentive payment for federal fiscal year 2011.
* Dec. 31, 2011 - Calendar 2011 payment year ends for eligible professionals.
More information is available at cms.gov/ehrincentiveprograms/.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Health Data Management content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access