What is TCC?
1. Early success
2. No excuses
3. The tenets of TCC
* Use the data you already have.
* Look for cost variances in similar procedures, such as surgeries and MRIs.
* View TCC as an ongoing process and not a one-time activity.
* Understand and appreciate the difference between costs, charges, RCCs and RVUs.
* Engage the CFO and the clinical team to drive down delivery costs.
* Borrow concepts and business strategies from other industries.
4. A caveat
6. Arguments against TCC
Argument 2: Lack of resources. Rebuttal: TCC provides ROI.
Argument 3: Administrative staff will lose jobs. Rebuttal: Staff will be used more efficiently.
Argument 4: Healthcare has too many variables, must look at average costs. Rebuttal: Analytics tools can handle variability and identify individual costs.
Argument 5: It’s too complex, there’s too much else on our plates. Rebuttal: Start small with one department, DRG or a problem area like bundled payments.